One of the huge concerns of human rights advocates nowadays in the Philippines is the proliferation of ambush killings as art of drug abuse clean-up in the country. According to them, people all have rights to live and everyone should have a day in court. But, the opposite side, believed otherwise and the spate of killings is most logical way to reduce if not eliminate drug menace. But, the consequence is that many believed that the innocents are compromised and may probably end up as victims of random killing. It is so random that the case of mistaken identity will be prevalent.
Since, it would be asking for heaven’s door to open up in order that random killing will be attended seriously by government and corresponding authorities, the best way that Filipinos deal with mistaken identity is to avoid become one. Here are some suggestions that might help save your life.
- Take care of your personal information. Maybe it is time to update your personal data with different government agencies like the SSS, BIR, PAG-IBIG, and among others. It helps that your persona information are updated so that those who are spying on you can immediately take off you from their list once they found out that your personal data is different from that of they were looking for.
- Highlight your image and brand yourself. In other words, you have to be different or build your own personal brand so that it is easy for others to determine that you are not the person they are looking for. This is helpful when you have several namesakes in any government or private databank. The stronger your image or brand, the more people will doubt when they learn something that does not match with what they see with you.
- Since, we are talking here about random killings on drug suspects and other labels, it is also important that you avoid friends whom you think or really know are doing drugs. By being with them constantly, will create the impression that you are one of them.
- Don’t act like one. As mentioned in item number two, you have to be different and it means that do not dress, behave, and speak like a drug user, pusher, and what have you. It is difficult to take you out from the list of suspected drug mules if you dress up and act like one.
- Consider looking for a new house. If you are still single and living in a drug infested environment, it is only wise that you get out from there and avoid not only become a victim of mistaken identity but of killing carnage as well.
- Keep yourself abreast with current events so that you will have ideas on how random killings are operated and you might also read more ideas on how to avoid them. As you can see, random killings are not exclusive to drugs, there are other issues involving it. Here’s an article that you might want to read as a start of your journey towards avoiding a mistaken identity syndrome.
Here’s an excerpt from YOU CAN DIE ANYTIME
“At around 6 p.m. on July 17, 2008, 20-year-old Jaypee Larosa left his home in Lanang, a quiet residential neighborhood in Davao City, to go to a nearby Internet cafe. An hour later his family heard six successive gunshots. A neighbor rushed into their house to say one of their sons had been shot in front of the café. Jaypee was taken to a hospital, but was declared dead on arrival.
Eyewitnesses said that Larosa had been shot by three men in dark jackets who had arrived on a motorcycle. After they shot him, one of them removed the baseball cap Larosa was wearing and said, “Son of a bitch. This is not the one,” and they immediately left the scene. It appears that the assailants were seeking to kill another man, a suspected robber. No one has been arrested for Larosa’s murder. His family is unaware of the police having taken any meaningful action in the case.”
Read the full article in this link https://www.hrw.org/report/2009/04/06/you-can-die-any-time/death-squad-killings-mindanao
You can really avoid become a victim of mistaken identity. There is no need for you to march and protest about random killings on perceived innocent victims. By performing all of the above suggestions, you can save your life and when you share all of the above ideas, you can also help save lives of other innocent people as well.